What are ‘Invisalign’ braces and how do they work?
(BChD MDentSci FDS MOrth RCS (Eng))
Many adults ask me how I can help improve their smile. Either they never had braces when they were younger or their teeth may have changed position over time.
There is no age limit on orthodontics, providing there is good dental health. Our adult patients range from 16 to over 60. However, most adults looking for orthodontic treatment need it to fit in with their work and lifestyle, as well as be comfortable, so traditional ‘train-track’ braces are not ideal.
This is why we offer Invisalign® as one of our treatment options. Invisalign® is a removable aligner. It is made of a series of clear trays that fit tightly over the teeth and gradually push the teeth into the correct position. It is almost invisible, hence the name, as well as comfortable to wear and easy to adapt to. Temporary discomfort and speech disturbance only lasts a few days, and more significantly – most people will not notice that you are wearing a brace! Here are the most common questions that our patients ask when considering Invisalign:
How does Invisalign work?
Each Invisalign® tray is worn for between 20 – 22 hours per day and changed for the next one every 14 days. They are removed for eating and cleaning, so you don’t need to radically change your diet or your teeth cleaning routine. Your personalised orthodontic treatment is planned to my prescription using a digital system called ClinCheck, which shows you how many trays you will need, how long the treatment will take and what the teeth should look like at the end. ClinCheck is a fantastic tool which helps to demonstrate how much difference your treatment will make, as well as help me to effectively monitor your treatment.
How long does it take?
I provide patients with 3 or 4 trays at a time and they visit the clinic every 6 to 8 weeks for me to check their progress. Typical treatment time is about a year, but can be as little as three months or up to two years.
Why the Invisalign brand in preference to any other?
Invisalign® was developed in the USA and was the first type of brace of its kind. Now, over 4 million patients have been treated worldwide. Over the 10 years I’ve been using it, new developments have made it a real alternative to fixed braces, which means I can confidently recommend it to my patients. I only use Invisalign® branded aligners – in my opinion it’s the best system of its kind.
Invisalign® is ideal for adults of all ages or older teenagers who don’t want visible, fixed braces. Excellent for realigning teeth which have moved over time or closing small spaces, recent developments have made Invisalign treatment possible for a wider range of problems. However, there are some cases for which Invisalign is not the ideal solution and a different type of brace might give a quicker or better result. The first step is to come and see me for a free consultation so that I can accurately assess your dental requirements.
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
- The most obvious one is that they’re almost invisible! They look very much as though the person wearing them is not wearing braces at all and are decidedly more attractive than metal braces.
- They are comfortable. With no protruding bits of metal, Invisalign braces are smooth and comfortable. They are also removable, so if for any reason, the wearer wishes to remove them for brief periods of time (to eat or drink), he or she may easily do so.
- They are safe. Conventional metal braces can affect demineralization and decaying teeth. Clear braces reduce the risk of damage normally caused by wearing traditional braces, including gum disease and cavities.
- It’s faster to see results! Invisalign® can take from only one year to 18 months to work its magic and straighten your teeth.
- It’s predictable. The Invisalign treatment journey is fully computerised, so patients know exactly what to expect and how long they will need the braces before they begin wearing them.
How much does Invisalign cost?
As with all orthodontic treatment, the cost of Invisalign will depend on your individual requirements, the positioning of your teeth and course of treatment required to achieve the desired straightening. The cost for adult treatment is typically between £2,200 and £4,400, however after your free consultation we will provide a full written treatment plan with an accurate cost.
To find out if Invisalign® is suitable for you, book a complimentary consultation with Dr. Megan Hatfield on 01423 565432 or contact us through our website.
Dr. Megan Hatfield has won numerous UK awards for her orthodontic work and was voted the prestigious title of ‘Aesthetic Dentist of the Year’ at the 2014 UK Smile Awards. She also won the category for ‘Orthodontic case – Invisalign’ in the same year.